What is DevaCurl?
The DevaCurl brand began in 1994 when the first Devachan salon opened its doors in New York City. This was one of the first salons of its kind – catering 100% to curly hair! Most curly haired people have had a lifetime of traumatizing hair experiences and dread the thought of getting a hair cut. We are here to change that!
This revolutionary cutting technique is designed for all natural textures – wavy, curly, and super curly. Hair is sculpted curl-by-curl while dry. In other words, curls are cut “where they live.” Curly hair can bounce and change tremendously from wet to dry which is why a DevaCut is always done on dry curls. This way, there are no surprises as to how much length is being cut off or how the layers are sitting. This service begins with a thorough consultation discussing your unique curl type, curl history and the curly cut you are wanting. This is a great time to show your stylist pictures of haircuts you’ve liked (or disliked!) in the past and any curly inspiration you have. Your stylist will then dry cut your hair curl by curl. Some might refer to this process as curl sculpting! You will then be brought over to the sink and your stylist will select an appropriate cleanser and conditioner designed specifically for your curl type, as well as styling products to showcase your curls and your fresh cut. Your stylist will share all their tips and tricks for home curl care so you can recreate beautiful curls at home. Education is a key component of a DevaCurl experience so feel free to ask questions! After defusing and final detailing your DevaCut is complete. Depending on the length and volume of your hair, this service takes about 1 hour. We have DevaCurl trained stylists at all levels.
DevaCut Layers Refresh Service
This 45-min express service is designed to maintain your curly cut in between DevaCut appointments. This reshaping service is perfect for those not needing a full haircut, but general reshaping such as lifting layers that are looking a little weighed down or becoming “triangular” in shape. After your cut, your stylist will use finishing products specifically to rehydrate your curls, rather than washing and styling at the sink.
DevaCut Refresh is for existing clients wishing to maintain their hair in between DevaCuts and is recommended for those who have had a DevaCut in the past 1-3 months.
Treatment Service Offering
Let’s face it, sometimes curly hair just needs a little TLC. Add this nourishing professional treatment to your DevaCut appointment or as a stand alone service. Ask our stylist to recommend which mask is right for your curls!
See our Pricing page.
How to Prep for Your DevaCurl Visit
- Arrive with your hair completely dry, detangled, down and in its natural state. Your stylist will need to clearly see your curl pattern so please avoid wearing your hair in a bun or similar hairstyle that will affect your curl pattern.
- Remove all hair accessories such as elastics and bobby pins.
- Bring pictures of curls you love!
The DevaCurl Mission
- The salon chair is more than just a seat. It is a magical space where curl transformations and relationships begin.
- We believe in the transformative power of curl confidence.
- We believe in less telling and more guiding. We will listen to your curl stories, your needs, and your wants.
- Curly hair isn’t a trend. It’s a way of life.
- It’s curly, it’s complicated, it’s fun, and we get it.